Instant Replays vs Delayed Retries in Life
Posted by Russ Irwin
Posted on 7th Mar, 2016
In this post, I want to help you to hit the reset button.
The other day, I was sitting with a friend enjoying some unusually mild weather and my thoughts turned quickly to spring. A season of new beginnings. As my friend and I continued to speak, he opened up and shared how “newness” scares him. He wished he could live a life of “instant replays”.
I asked, instant replays, or delayed retries? When he asked what the difference was, I explained an instant replay is where the same event is played over again. A delayed retry, which I discovered was what my friend really meant, is not a fixed frame on a film. Here you are able to fantasize about the possibility of going back and being able to have another chance to relive an experience which you could have handled differently – potentially more wisely.
Delayed retry living keeps so many people from progressively moving forward… and keeps them residing in the land of mediocrity.
My advice to my friend, and to all my friends reading this post, is since you cannot turn back time, you should only learn from it. Don’t allow where you were to determine where you are going. Move on, stop holding on to those negative images of your yesterdays. They only continue to create guilt and doubt. Allow for a new beginning, new vision, and limitless possibilities.
Allow your thoughts to create new encouraging experiences (instead of reliving past ones). Self talk is powerful; it creates new behaviors.
It is time to adjust the thought-thermostat, turn up the heat, get out of the comfort zone, and DREAM.
Irwin & Associates coaching will help you achieve lasting personal and professional transformations in alignment with your goals and dreams. Take your first step now at a complimentary consultation.
Like this? You might also like:
- Why You Must Embrace Vulnerability [TED Talk Video] - February 15, 2017
- Do You Have a Plan for Success that Is Unique to You? [Video] - January 10, 2017
- Merry Christmas! A Time of New Beginnings - December 19, 2016
- Turning “Shoulds” into “Musts”: The Path to Peak Performance - December 6, 2016
- What Do I Have to Do to Experience Sustainable Success? [Video] - November 15, 2016
- NOW Is Your Time - November 1, 2016
- Navigating Life’s Transitions [Video] - October 18, 2016
- Picking Up the Pieces when You Feel Broken and Lost - October 4, 2016
- Life Has Seasons: Are You Planting or Harvesting? - September 20, 2016
- Great Success Requires a Map… and Knowing Where You’re Currently Standing - September 6, 2016