It’s About the Climb: 2 Ingredients for Sustainable Success
Posted by Russ Irwin
Posted on 4th May, 2016
We often hear that vision and action lead to success – and this is true – but what are the ingredients for sustaining that success, a success that passes the test of time and adversity?
Let me introduce you to two simple ingredients that lead to progress and are necessary for sustainable success:
This is foundational in moving toward success. In mountain climbing, the key to reaching the top is in having a strong base camp to launch from each day and return to each night. If you are to reach your personal and business summit and master the daily challenges, you must have a strong, safe place where you can start and finish.
Each day we need to reconnect and refocus with our personal mission, which empowers us to launch each day from the right footing. The right base will help you to establish the right pace – ensuring you remain true to your priorities and accountable to your “why” (why you do what you do). If we are not accountable to our “why” it becomes easy to say yes to every request and no to self-care.
A Good Base and Pace
When we lack a launching pad, a base camp to begin and return, and when we fail to practise self-care, it becomes easy to:
- Bend over backwards to help EVERYONE else
- Schedule too much in one day
- Put yourself last
A good base is more than a “soft place to land” when life gangs up on you; it also helps you to balance out your gift of contribution to others. Otherwise we become frustrated, angry, tired (fat), and our creative juice is depleted.
So how do I begin to practise self-care?
- Self-awareness: Be aware of what’s happening, and more importantly, why it’s happening.
- Be intentional about scheduling your time: Include a specific time period just for yourself. I personally practise what I call my “platinum 30”. It is 30 minutes for personal development, prayer, and affirmations. This is my base where I recharge.
- Accept: Accept the reality that not everyone will embrace your decision for self-care.
Irwin & Associates coaching will help you achieve lasting personal and professional transformations in alignment with your goals and dreams. Take your first step now at a complimentary consultation.
Like this? You might also like:
- Do You Know The 2 Most Important Keys to Achieving Your Goals?
- Top 4 Traits of Highly Successful People
- Instant Replays vs Delayed Retries in Life
- Why You Must Embrace Vulnerability [TED Talk Video] - February 15, 2017
- Do You Have a Plan for Success that Is Unique to You? [Video] - January 10, 2017
- Merry Christmas! A Time of New Beginnings - December 19, 2016
- Turning “Shoulds” into “Musts”: The Path to Peak Performance - December 6, 2016
- What Do I Have to Do to Experience Sustainable Success? [Video] - November 15, 2016
- NOW Is Your Time - November 1, 2016
- Navigating Life’s Transitions [Video] - October 18, 2016
- Picking Up the Pieces when You Feel Broken and Lost - October 4, 2016
- Life Has Seasons: Are You Planting or Harvesting? - September 20, 2016
- Great Success Requires a Map… and Knowing Where You’re Currently Standing - September 6, 2016